Tuesday 19 February 2013

Without counting the cost!




Their son and granddaughter came to the station to see them off. After settling the luggage, they didn't say much to each other. The train started moving gently; grandpa bent from the door to the platform to kiss the little girl. He came back with shrunk face and wet eyes. He tried hard to control his tears from flowing. Grandma looked tenderly to his eyes and consoled him with a sweet courageous smile.

After a long silence he opened up. Their long conversations went on and on. I overheard when the grandma sighed and said 'Hadn't we have any other obligations, we could’ve stayed for long and help..Alone, it will be too difficult for them to manage everything..But we have other obligations...'

Looking at my curious face she smiled. Without counting the cost they were willing to help their children to take care of their household and kids. Their conversation continued and leaving them alone in their private world I took a flight to my land of thoughts.

Once an uneducated wise man told me these words.."Water flows from top to bottom and such is the flow of love, from a parent to a child. Do not expect it to flow from bottom to top." He added.."I don't know much. I am uneducated. Please forgive me if I am wrong.”

Right or wrong, these words that I shared have helped some of my friends from heart break which could've been caused by the result of expectation of reciprocation from their children, that was never met.

I know many Indians who travel abroad as a couple or sometimes alone, leaving the spouse behind, to help their kids to run their family. Our nation has nicknamed them 'Nannies'. In an unknown place in an unfamiliar weather, with no one to talk to, they baby sit their grand children all through the day and night. Though we can elevate these deeds calling it 'Sacrifice', I wish all youngsters will value this free gift of love, and not overburden the elders for their own comforts. Grandparents living in India are also taxed with household chores and babysitting, sending and bringing back children from schools, cooking etc., that too with the expectation of perfection.

Let no one think that they can reciprocate this gift by paying a few thousands each month to the old age home. Genuine concern, love, gratitude..that will make you take care of them in their helpless old age...or at least to console them even if your situation truly doesn't permit you to be with them. I wish the elder generation some rest, respect, love, happiness, and above all, peace.

3 comments:

Your comments are welcome...

To Captain, with Gratitude

  (Dedicated to Dr Rajesh M Ramankutty, Cardiothoracic surgeon, Caritas Heart Institute, Kerala. My Papa got a new lease of  life through a ...