Saturday 28 April 2012

A Tribute to a Great Teacher

In an age in which the roots of goodness and relationships are getting detached, I thank God for permitting me to witness the sweetness of a Teacher-Student relationship. 
My father was disheartened when he missed the chance to see his Guru on his 100th birthday celebrations which was held at Sanskrit College, Trivandrum.
That is when the news came that this year's Senior citizen sports meet is to be held in Bangalore, in which my father would participate.
My 82-year old father started preparing for the next chance to meet his Teacher. He got his Teacher's address and his son's phone number in Bangalore from the Principal of Sanskrit College, Trivandrum. 
Then, many a time during the long months of waiting, I heard in wonder, when my father spoke proudly and respectfully about his Guru, Mr. M.H. Shastri and about his classes. It was my father's wish that I accompany him when he visits that Great Personality.
While listening to all these anecdotes, I prayed that both Guru and Shishyan should be hale and healthy till their reunion. Finally, on February 27, both of us reached the Teacher's son, Mr. M.G. Mahadevan's house in Bangalore. Knowing that his Teacher was bed-ridden and that there was no chance to be recognised by him, my father approached his Teacher, just to see him and to receive his blessings.  Touching Guru’s feet with both his hands, he bowed down and stood in silent meditation for some time. The son supported his father as if he would for a small child to make him sit on the bed. The son and the student sat on his right and his left. In his mother-tongue, the son said, "Appa, yaaru vanthirukkiraanga paarungo. Thiruvananthapuram samskrutha collegile unga pazhaya student vanthirukkiraanga" (Father, see who has come. Your old student from Trivandrum Sanskrit College has come).
The moment when the Teacher looked at his student, lifting up his head with much difficulty, will always remain fresh in my memory. Holding his father who lives in the innocence of his second childhood, and gently rubbing his back, Mr Mahadevan had tears in his eyes. Equally, the fading phase of a Great Life clouded our hearts with an inexplicable sadness.
The Teacher could not sit for a long time. Mr. Mahadevan gently made his father lie down. "Sir, may I leave?" My father, who had never cried in his life, held his Guru's feet and stood there for a long time helplessly. Then, wiping his eyes, he saluted his Teacher and came out of the room. Watching the Student-Teacher meeting and parting, Mr Maha Devan, his wife and myself, we couldn't help our tears.
Later on, for about an hour, I listened like a little girl, to the endless stories about his great life, which his son and student shared in the drawing room. I understood that Guru is a Sanskrit Kingdom and when he passes away from this world, an Era will come to an end. The world which lost so many Great Legends still survives, thanks to the books that they wrote, which holds a small part of their knowledge.
Knowing that there is no further reunion, leaving his Teacher and climbing down the steps, the cold silence alone came along, together with some memories. I have not seen in anyone else, so much longing to meet a teacher and to receive his blessings. There is nothing to be surprised about Mr. P.S. John, who stands first in the hurdle race at the age of 82, to have crossed so many hurdles to meet his Teacher. I felt very proud of my father, who I always loved and respected. Also, I thought in wondrous admiration about the Great Guru who gained a place in his student's heart, which made him take all the trouble to come and meet his Teacher with such longing.
A few days ago when the student called me to inform about the death of his Guru, his voice was mixed with the feeling of loss. When I called Mr. Mahadevan to condole, his voice carried me once again to the Teacher’s room. Nothing remains there but a picture which I took as desired by my father: a photo of Guru, with his son and the student on either side.
I thank again God Almighty for that wonderful day which taught me, who is a student and also a teacher, the essence of Teacher-Student relationship.
My respects to the Great Teacher. With heartfelt pain, I bid adieu!
"Gurave namaha"!

11 comments:

  1. Dear,
    i am so happy to see a comment on sastri. he was the greatest scholar our times has produced. the media was silent about his departure. such genre are rare.i heard him while i was only 16, interpreting atmopadesasatakam, still take care to remind me myself about that greatness. Thank you for your post. Ask your father to brood on specific incidents with respect to sasthri and post them. thank you. babupradeep from koovapady near perumbavoor

    ReplyDelete
  2. please give me his exact date of death to do a biography note on an academic journal kiranavali. i was trying for hours to get this date. please help. No information about this great scholar is available. dr.g.narayanan@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful and very touching article. May Guru Shishya Parampara remain and continue like this...

    Gurave namaha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though I have not personally met Mr. Shastri, I have had the privilege to read and learn about this great person through his son Mr.Mahadevan who is a true friend, philosopher and guide. Very few souls such as Mr.Shastri have managed to create such an impact on society. I am deeply moved at the student-teacher relationship as well as the father-son relationship narrated in this well written blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must really commend on your blog of having such close associations stitched up. From a Father to a teacher to a son to a student and the journey..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent article. Fantastic Guru-Shishya parampara and if I may add only in India. Thanks for sharing this, Maha. I am blessed to have met Dr. Shastri, although am bereft of his work. Kindly share that too.

    What I am also touched about is the great secularism of India, as exhibited in this story. That a Tamil Iyer Shastri has been a teacher in Kerala's capital where he taught Sanskrit to a Malayalee Christian , who continued to respect his Guru even after over 64 years. Such great human stories are only possible in an India, where Diversity has been celebrated since millenia. Where all the troubled spirits of the world came and found succour, were they be the early Christians with St Thomas in around 4th century CE, or later The Jews in 9th century or Parsis in 14th or many others, who even came to loot the treasures of India, but finally called it home. May this India and its diversity and secularism continue forever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Narendra Aravalli5 September 2012 at 21:48

    Thank you,Maha for sharing such a great artcile.It has to be read by current set of teachers and students to understand the warmth in such relationship.I am very impressed by Mr.John for rememebering his teacher after so many years and also admire his daughter to publish this experience.

    I am very fortunate to meet your father and seek his blessings on his 100th birthday.

    If this kind of teacher-student relationships persits today , we do not require any special mentorship programmes..

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great student-teacher relationship. Can relate to this since my grandpa was a great teacher and have seen this relationship which is rare these days.
    Hats off to Mr. P.S. John and salutations to the great teacher Mr. M.H. Shastri !
    Beautifully written blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. While reading the article – had full of goosebumps and tears in my eyes…

    What a moment the student would have had, excellent feeling !

    Very fortunate to read such a nicely articulated article..Thanks alot Maha for sharing this article.

    Ashok Garla

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very touching n loving feeling which v r missing in today's advanced technological developed country....very lucky to read this..thanq

    ReplyDelete
  11. i wept to read this. What has happened to India that such people die unnoticed now? are we doomed?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome...

To Captain, with Gratitude

  (Dedicated to Dr Rajesh M Ramankutty, Cardiothoracic surgeon, Caritas Heart Institute, Kerala. My Papa got a new lease of  life through a ...