Sunday 3 March 2013

Chosen Path



          Science failed me; Maths too. Logic and theories were strangers to my brain and they brought red marks on my report cards. They destroyed my life like the big Leviathan and they made me feel so ashamed in front of brainy people. Teachers scolded, class mates scorned and my heart broke into pieces. Silly papers and printed letters and numbers and diagrams of Maths and Science books became my nightmares and damaged my social image, self esteem, reducing me to a good-for-nothing being. 

My Papa was the only soul who saw me in a very positive angle. He always told me "You are very good at languages. That is enough." He would tell me about people who became successful just by knowing only one subject well. He used to tell others "My daughter is excellent in English" and the way he said it would make them think that I am good at everything else. He never ever scolded me for my low marks in other subjects.

My fate was to continue as a Science student till the end of my BSc Chemistry course. At the age of 19, I failed Maths and Science, simply bidding Adieu to both and did my Masters in English Literature. My brain didn't take much time to erase the nightmarish memories of those subjects and fill it with words and words and words.
Languages became my friends. My mother tongue Malayalam, my academic first language English, and French, which I learnt during my 7 years' stay in Swiss, occupy equal places in my life. As I was so scared of my Hindi teacher, I was bad at Hindi, though I can understand it to a certain extend. (That remains in the regrets' list)
I moved out of the intellectual rat race and became a part of the Land of Freedom of Creativity. Here I am, a free soul, expressing the thoughts that flow through me, in many ways possible, to renew and to refresh my soul. Knowing the Power that is the Source of all Science and Languages, being at bliss without asking millions of questions beyond my reach, living in faith without seeking reasons and proofs; everything makes me feel so grateful to God for His choice for me. 
As for me, my Papa was always right and always will be right in his statement. Language is 'enough' for me; to express what I feel, to feel blissful and blessed, to swim through the oceans and fly to the emptiness of the sky, beyond what is seen and heard, beneath any doubt and fear, untouched by pride, touched by God, to believe and live in peace without queries...I understand for a fact that God, exists and He is Power beyond powers, beyond human explanation or understanding and I am blessed with the beautiful medium to express my convictions; the languages that I know.
O Science, surely you are the most in demand and most respected in this world. I could never find my success or my way in you; but that never made me a lesser human being. Your sons and daughters are surely the most honoured on Earth and they are skeptical about my intelligence. They look down at me as a person who can ONLY speak and write. Two paths diverged in front of me; one, ready for a race, the other, ready for my pace. I chose the second, and it proved the best.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome...

To Captain, with Gratitude

  (Dedicated to Dr Rajesh M Ramankutty, Cardiothoracic surgeon, Caritas Heart Institute, Kerala. My Papa got a new lease of  life through a ...