Tuesday 1 January 2013

Poor Start of a New Year at Poor Man's Ooty!


31st of December, a little bit of greed for peace made me decide to spend two days at Yercaud before the school reopening. I dreamed of the blue sky and quiet nature and flowers in my garden all awaiting me. We had to trouble our aged dog, making him bear all the hairpin bends and distance, as we were planning for an overnight stay. 
We reached around noon..I was not disappointed. Our water lily had a beautiful lavender flower on it and I was so happy to see it for the first time. The sight of gold fishes that swam beneath the leaves made my day. I took some time to see all the flowers. I didn't regret my decision.
Night came and there was that usual pin drop silence. I happily took my Bible and prayer book and sat on the warm mat. I thought to myself..'what an ideal place to pray'!
I heard a loud beat of music and as it stayed for a few seconds in the same volume, I looked at my husband. We thought and we hoped that it was a passing car with loud music played in it. We kept on hoping, but the volume didn't fade a bit. He left his laptop and I left my Bible and we opened the door and went out of the house. Standing near the gate we could see flashing laser beams and understood that the fourth house from ours had arranged a discotheque for New Year in their compound with loud speakers powerful enough to shake our house and break our hearts. 
When we asked the watchman's family they exclaimed that it is an every year affair and women will be dressed like film stars and will dance with bottles in their hands. They endure it every year and we were told that it will continue till 3 am!
As we decided not to confront and risk a fight, we called the police station. The police told us that they are also facing a similar scene near their police station and bearing it and advised us to do the same for just one night. Also they assured us that those people will get tired and will sleep soon! We missed our Salem house; thought how quiet it would be there at that hour.  Though we had an idea of driving down to Salem, the thought of mad rowdies on the Ghat road made us stay back.
For some time, the volume went low, we quickly said our family prayer. Again from 11 till midnight they had the worst music and at 12 when they screamed 'Happy New year' a tear drop fell from my eyes thinking of my bad start of the year and the sleepless night ahead.
We didn't even wish each other. I was awake till early morning, till the music died down. I got up with a headache when the phone started ringing to say "Happy New Year'! The morning was so peaceful. But with my heavy head nothing meant anything to me. I felt like hiring a cone speaker and blow it in the ears of those who were sleeping in the morning after spoiling our peace at night.
No, I didn't do anything. Just cooked lunch, had it, and packed back to Salem at the earliest, before drunkards dance and drive along the way in the evening. It was just afternoon, as we passed Yercaud lakeside, I could smell alcohol from the passing youths and all I wanted was to come home.
To make it short, by the time I reached Salem, I could only enter my home as if I'm rushing myself to an ICU and fall on the couch, apply Himalaya cold balm to numb my forehead from pain and thoughts and slowly sleep a bit.
I have nothing to tell to the ruthless stupid senseless Indians and undisciplined India. I just want to forget about the mad celebration of the rich with their English and rock music and alcohol. Neither education nor money makes anyone a human being.
Our plans of going to church in the evening, visiting the nearby orphanage, everything tumbled. The New Year day has come to an end. One Indian proposes, another Indian disposes! I am dead tired, yet I want to write this before I sleep.
I don't wish for a happy new year..I just wish to have a good night sleep..if it's not too much for me to ask of this New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome...

To Captain, with Gratitude

  (Dedicated to Dr Rajesh M Ramankutty, Cardiothoracic surgeon, Caritas Heart Institute, Kerala. My Papa got a new lease of  life through a ...