Friday 4 October 2013

Life beyond the scene

Child is the most beautiful gift when received
Unique, matchless, a little miracle born
After a while it turns to the most hectic task
To do without a hint of success

Comments, experiences, advice, such as
Boys are fun, girls are sweet, till they fight
One is best, two are perfect, more means mess
Make the new born a victim of experiments

Soon home school starts, preparation for Pre-KG
My child can say A to Z and 1 to 10 
Claims the neighbour, 'Wow!' all exclaim
And parents run to the next bookstore

Kisses and hugs are acts of appreciation 
Love becomes the reward for accomplishments
Smart, obedient, well-mannered, active, intelligent
Adjectives to define his future and worth

None to be blamed, nothing to be ridiculed
Any discussion ends with a sigh, ‘This is life’
Desperate parents and worn-out kids
At times all smile at their own folly

While parents think they aren't honoured
Children grumble they aren't loved
Comparisons, arguments, complaints aplenty
Perfection remains the goal never reached

I’m playing this game called life
Inside a home called family
Standing between my parents and kids
I realise a beautiful mysterious truth

All would fight but none gets defeated
A tug of war where no one wins
If one fails, others don’t cheer
If one triumphs, all surely rejoice

Dialogues delivered, then regretted
Arrows shot, never meant to hurt
Anger, frustration, fear and rivalry
Just passing clouds that hide pure love

I can’t conclude who’s better than whom
No scale to measure love expressed or hidden
As there’s no heart that doesn't quiver
When another is wounded, hurt or dead

Beneath the hurting wounds that bleed
There’s a drive to forgive and unite
A compromise not to be seen elsewhere
Home and family make our world on Earth

I’m a daughter and I am a mother
I’m equally indebted to my parents and kids
For their love, compromise and tolerance
That I can never reciprocate

Finally I see that home isn't a battleground!!
And family, not some people who compete!!
We are running the race together !!
We are playing as one team to win!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome...

To Captain, with Gratitude

  (Dedicated to Dr Rajesh M Ramankutty, Cardiothoracic surgeon, Caritas Heart Institute, Kerala. My Papa got a new lease of  life through a ...