Wednesday 2 October 2013

To face without a face!

I took my place by the aisle
Set my bags down the seats
In the AC coach pretty calm
I stretched myself to relax a bit

The lady near the window turned
To my shock, I saw no face!
Except scary scars and thickened skin
There was nothing but her eyes alive

I smiled as our eyes met first
She might’ve smiled, God alone knows
There was no chance to read her thoughts
Or emotions hidden beneath her burns

‘Thank you for your smile,’ she said
I could guess what made her say that
Everyone turned their heads from her
An unpleasant sight, no eye could bear

‘If not a face, what else is left!’ 
I thought while trying to look unruffled
I struggled to see her as human as I
To face a face without a face!

She was blessed with a sweet voice
And two twinkling eyes which said the rest
She opened her purse, turned it my side
‘This is me…I mean…this was me’

She smiled at me through that little snap
A lively lady in the lifeless picture
I wondered much of the beautiful past
Of this gorgeous woman who lost her face

She didn't speak more on her woes
Words broke in chokes and dissolved in tears
I grasped the story, not so uncommon
Of a face changing fate of many a woman

Acid burnt her face making it a horrid sight
Yet failed to put off her spirit, still burning bright
Before my eyes she turned so gracious
A soul untouched by violence of fiends

I bowed my head and cleared my throat
Bit my lips to stop the tears roll
I didn't know whether to thank God for my face
Or to see the splendour of life even without a face

I couldn't empathise or sympathise
Rather I looked at her in great admiration
A personality which no fire could kill
A person who could live beneath her skin

After a silent pause we reached the present
Cheerful chat and laughter and fun
Made us friends in the fast moving train
Alas! I had to get down, bid adieu soon

As I hugged her I felt her arms holding me tight
‘Thank you’ she sighed looking into my eyes
Hugging her again I whispered back the same
The silence and tears had much more to share

How could she know that I wanted to quit!
That I was a lifeless soul faking a smile!
That her faceless face taught me to face
My life and fate with gratitude and grace!

Is it death that teaches life?
Is it loss that makes us grateful?
Is it our face that makes us what we are?
Or is it what we face even without a face?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome...

To Captain, with Gratitude

  (Dedicated to Dr Rajesh M Ramankutty, Cardiothoracic surgeon, Caritas Heart Institute, Kerala. My Papa got a new lease of  life through a ...