Tuesday 19 November 2013

Finally found my playground!



I wished for many things throughout my life. I was just at the back stage as a helper to the performers. I was never a great singer or dancer or speaker or actor. I never got any big prizes nor impressed anyone. I just dreamt, if I could!!

I wished to be a singer. I could sing with a group in school. But for solo competition, I would leave the stage after four or less lines, shivering and trembling. In my first year in school as a teacher, I was asked to sing and give a message. When the time came, my head was empty and my mouth was dry. I totally surrendered myself to God and went as an empty vessel. I could hear what I was speaking; but was sure that it didn’t come from my head. After a short message I sang the song. I felt good after singing it from my heart in God’s power and humbly accepted the compliments.  In my new school, I started with a solo for Teachers’ day and on many other occasions with my friends and I still continue it and enjoy every occasion to sing for the children.

I wished to be an actor; but never thought that I could. I was asked to act in my new school. In my first year I did an LKG baby’s part and I enjoyed it. The next year I wrote the script for a skit and was the narrator. That too turned out so well and we were immersed in the laughter and howling of the students. I was happy to make such a hilarious play with a twist that made all cry at the end. The title ‘Tears and Laughter’ was so apt for the play.

I wished to stand before the crowd and give a talk. I was asked to give a message for Christmas, and speeches on other occasions, which I did with ease. I was amazed each time how I managed to do these things with confidence and smile.

I wished to be a winner as I hardly won prizes after my primary classes. I never thought that I will, till my students compelled me to participate in the musical chair and badminton match. I ended up being the runner up of both competitions and received a trophy from the Principal.

I wished to be a dancer, but never did I dare to perform anywhere. This children’s day I was asked to dance and I did a ribbon dance wearing the student’s school uniform with hair plaited on both sides and tied with blue ribbon! I was thrilled with the applause of my students and to see the wonderment in their eyes to see me in their uniform. I enjoyed each step I took without any former practice and felt so happy that I enjoyed doing it.

I wanted to do many things as a student and all that I wished is coming to reality after being a teacher. There are still a few more dreams left and I hope I’ll be asked to do those things, if God wills.

The voice of an LKG kid, a Higher secondary student, and an old lady…I have rendered to my students. Or to put in another way, God took me in all the ways possible to make my dreams come true many times.

It was much fun to do with my colleagues than the students. Students want to portray themselves as grown-ups while we eagerly find out the child in us! There are a few more dreams that I dream and if God wills, I’ll be blessed by a stage to make them true.

I wished that I should never ever become a teacher. I disliked that profession as I didn’t grow or learn much during my school.  But the good Lord knew where my dreams can become realities and He made me come back to school to do everything that I missed to do at school. And now I realize that being a teacher is the only way for an adult to come back to a school stage. It doesn’t make any difference whether I did as a child or an adult.

I don’t want to waste my time in comparing and competing with others. Thanks to my kids who have helped me, cheered me and loved me. It is from you that I learned that anyone can do anything to the best of their abilities. I call myself a Clunyte as this is the place I grew up as an adult and as a kid.

I still remain a student, than a teacher. Teaching French is easier than learning the art of being myself and doing what I like. Each day that passes by, my students teach me to come out of the box and try new things and their cheers give me confidence. Whatever I try to do, I’m sure that my students are with me and I do anything to make them laugh and shout for a while.


So, being a teacher is a pretext to be on the same grounds with the kids and I hope and wish that I’ll do much more with them around. Losing my job is less scary than losing the company of my friends and students. And whenever I quit the school, I’ll quit rather as a student of children than a teacher of children. Always I’ll be grateful to Cluny management and teachers and students, where I could laugh and joke and even play the part of a Terror! At the end Clunytes will wonder what I really am…and I hope you know the real me…I’ll never keep a distance with any student which cannot be shortened with a hug! Love you girls, love you Cluny! And love to all my friends and my dearest family for your encouragement and support and for being there always to share my joy!

1 comment:

  1. amazing n fruitful journey of a wonderful teacher

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome...

To Captain, with Gratitude

  (Dedicated to Dr Rajesh M Ramankutty, Cardiothoracic surgeon, Caritas Heart Institute, Kerala. My Papa got a new lease of  life through a ...