Sunday 10 June 2012

An unexpected visit...


That day, I was so tired and I didn’t feel like going to work. Moreover it was 5 September, Teacher’s day. I imagined what would happen at school. The students who wish me ‘Happy Teacher’s day’, the programs that they perform for the teachers, teachers’ meeting, and a gift from the Principal etc. The same as last year, everything is going to be repeated one more time. Nothing interested me. I lied down on my couch watching TV – a day to rest.
Around 10 O’clock my phone rang. It was Harini, a girl who was in my class, 4 years back.
-Madam, can I visit you today?
I spontaneously replied –‘Not today, may be during week-end’
-I just want to give you a card. That’s all.
I didn’t want to insult her. I told her ‘yes’.
The appointment, it was fixed at 5. Around 4 O’clock, another call. It was two other girls, Sujitha and Srimathy from the same class. They wanted to come to see me…

Suddenly, I remembered that class which I liked a lot; my first year as a teacher – the enthusiasm I had, the good relation that I established with my students, the initiatives, the sacrifices.
I also realised that I wasn’t the same as before. I changed and I found that my profession had become mechanical and monotonous.
My house was in disorder. I didn’t want to get more tired by arranging all that. I quickly took a bath and I waited for the girls.
Finally they came with gifts and cards. They just wanted to tell me that they love me very much and I was a teacher on whom they could count, when they lost their way.
I didn’t have much to offer them. ‘Madam, I would like to have a tea.’ asked Srimathy. We were very happy with some biscuits and tea. They had grown up, almost became women. I felt proud of them that they had become responsible and positive and lovable. They had found their own path towards God and happiness.
I regretted for not preparing a good meal for them and not having any gift to give them.
‘We can have dinner together one day’ my husband’s voice consoled me a bit.
But for them, nothing was important than seeing me, talking to me, passing as much time with me as possible.
Harini left around 7 O’clock and others around 9. We laughed a lot without conditions, without barriers.
When I was alone, I read the cards that they gave me. The words touched me profoundly. I realised the nobility of my profession, the impression that we leave on another person. What a good compensation for the little things that we do, the words of encouragement, some advice, the support, the corrections – all the things that they keep still as good souvenirs and treasures. Of course, a teacher has the opportunity to influence and touch and transform their students and lead them in a path towards happiness.

In Harini’s letter were written these words.
You didn’t teach me not to fall, but how to get up if I fall;
You didn’t teach me how to fly in the air, but how to walk with my feet touching the ground;
You didn’t teach me how to conquer, but how to fight…
Ma’am, you don’t know how many good things you can do, just being who you are ’
I don’t know to what extend I have encouraged them, but I know that these are the words that encouraged me to continue my profession with joy and confidence. We are just farmers who sow the seeds. The harvest, it’s sure.
I thought of this year’s students.
A new outlook, a new spirit! Nothing is new, but everything changed!

1 comment:

  1. Appreciation for good work comes at the unexpected time! You have brought enduring smiles on those little children. That is, indeed a precious reward! Keep inspiring others!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome...

To Captain, with Gratitude

  (Dedicated to Dr Rajesh M Ramankutty, Cardiothoracic surgeon, Caritas Heart Institute, Kerala. My Papa got a new lease of  life through a ...