Saturday 24 January 2015

A letter to 2014-15 batch Clunytes, STD XII


It has almost become a tradition to read a letter at the end of each year to my students. But somehow this year, my letter is written to the whole batch of STD XII 2014-15.
My most beloved little girls,
Words don’t come easy this time. May be the reason is, there are thoughts beyond words. But I am sure that you will understand my heart as all of us share the same feeling now.
For a short or a long while, all of you became Clunytes by God’s Grace. And now it is time to leave your favourite play ground called Cluny. For different reasons, all of you may not be feeling the same way as you leave. As you move out of this institution that practices its motto ‘Love and Serve’, it is my sincere wish that each one of you should have a heart filled with love and a will to serve this world.
Let us assume that after years of sailing, you have finally reached the sea shore along with the crew called teachers. You have different experiences, but now nothing matters as the journey is getting over. You are standing on the same sand with lots of pretty shells around. What will you pick up from the shore before you leave? Won’t you pick up the best ones that you love, and cherish them as your fond memories? Won’t you smile at the crew members and thank them just once? Anyway remember that those who are fortunate to have sailed in Cluny even for a short while are sure to have seen and felt love.
Even as you sit among your parents and teachers the fact remains: no one knows who a teacher or parent really is; or what a School or Home really means. I feel that it is because of our constant comparison and a perception of an ideal teacher, ideal parent, ideal school, ideal home etc.
The word ideal in the adjective form has these meanings: existing only in the imagination; desirable or perfect but not likely to become a reality. And its synonyms are: unattainableunachievableimpracticableunworkableunfeasible;
unrealfictitioushypotheticaltheoretical, ivory towered, imaginary, idealized,  utopianquixoticvisionaryfanciful, etc. And what I think is that the most ideal thing to do always is, just to believe in God, and take everything in our life as God’s gifts of love, and above all as God’s will for us. The luckiest person on Earth is not the one who gets the best life, but it is the one who makes the best of his/her life on Earth.

Your parents and teachers are the ones who have the major share in your growing up years. And as we look at you today with love and joy in our hearts, all of us feel proud of each one of you. You have grown up to beautiful ladies, bold and confident to meet life at its stride. Please do not compare yourself with anyone or try to become like anyone else. Regardless of your marks and stature, please believe that you are born as a unique individual to fulfil a unique purpose. Don’t give up hope. One day, some day, you will find out that purpose. I am confident about this as I waited in hope for so many years before I saw that miracle happen in my life. Sooner or later each one of you will bloom and spread fragrance all around. Sooner or later you will bear fruit. But till then, be good, do good and feel good.



None of us gave you wings or even added a feather to them. But you drew strength from us in the form of love, care, discipline, correction, etc..the list is too long. Yes, everything that you received was needed for your growth. The sweet milk and the bitter medicine, both were equally important in your life and so we gave them many times without your consent. At the end, everything comes to the same point, the Eternal fact that we love you so much.
As you flutter your wings to fly to the heights, your parents may feel anxious; not because they want you to be caged birds, just because they fear if you would be safe and happy wherever you fly.
The scripture says: honour your parents so that everything will go well with you on Earth. Fly children, find out your heights, enjoy the sights..but please keep on strengthening your wings till they are strong enough to fly back home and see your loved ones. If your wings aren’t helping you to land where you took off, its strength is of no use. Fly back and forth towards all your responsibilities. Reach out to your loved ones when you need them and also when you are needed in their life.
I will close this letter with one last thought that I shared with my students in our last class. As a child I loved my Dad more than my Mom, as he never scolded or punished me. But today I wonder who among them would’ve loved me more? Perhaps Mom’s stern correction made me what I am today as much as my Dad’s acceptance. And now I choose to love them both equally as I will never know how to assess a parent’s love. The same goes in my teachers’ case too. As much as affection and acceptance, correction and discipline are good for children and the wise ones accept all of them. You be wise and be nice. Love you my girls..
With love, your teacher, Sindhu

2 comments:

  1. Ma'am so touching...you are the best...we will miss us...
    -A student from 2017-18 batch

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a touching letter from a teacher who deserves to be called a guide or a guru. Words to cherish for a lifetime for the students they are meant for.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome...

To Captain, with Gratitude

  (Dedicated to Dr Rajesh M Ramankutty, Cardiothoracic surgeon, Caritas Heart Institute, Kerala. My Papa got a new lease of  life through a ...