Thursday 31 July 2014

From my own cage!!

Though there’s nothing big to discuss
Have to share this topic, now

I just opened my door today
Stepped out for a while this evening

Not on the road, to my own balcony
To put some manure and water the plants

As soon as I started, came a stupid old man
As if to relax on his balcony

Best time for sightseeing, idiotic creature
Was seated in comfort, staring at me

Felt if I could pick up a stone and fling it on him
I wished that it would bring me some comfort

But I can’t do a thing, will our society tolerate
A poor old man being stoned?

So poor me, took all my tools
Stopped my work and climbed down the steps

As soon as I reached down, he went inside
But even if I climb up again, that imbecile would come again

Tomorrow dawn, before light spreads
I must go again to tend my plants

Bitter gourd, ladies finger, tomato plants, forgive me
I must check the time even to pour some water

I will tie around the green garden net, but
I won’t be a sight for a worthless old man

Only a solace; a bit of comfort
I have my own Malayalam to write this down

To read, I have my friends
A few souls who are human

Thank God, one more day got over
In my own cage, where there’s no freedom

Bottom of Form
 The translation of the original poem in Malayalam is less expressive. But still those who feel the pain of being stared at, just because you have a human body, will understand what I am trying to say.


1 comment:

  1. Wonderfully penned!
    We all are caged...even the poor old man:):)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome...

To Captain, with Gratitude

  (Dedicated to Dr Rajesh M Ramankutty, Cardiothoracic surgeon, Caritas Heart Institute, Kerala. My Papa got a new lease of  life through a ...